Thursday, September 9, 2010

Shooooot!

Black Dog has the Game 6 game story and stats up here.

Hopefully, I'll have something up in this space tomorrow.   Sort of a side dish to his main course.

In the Black Dog's Game 5 thread,  Vic noted "The narrative I'd always heard for the 1972 Soviets (mostly from my oldest brother) was that they passed the puck around endlessly, even turning back at the blue line to regroup if there were no passing lanes open. Eventually someone on tic-tac-toe pass number 17 would tap it into the open net."

He was confused because our "Missed Shots" numbers for the Soviets seem to contradict the narrative.

Our response was "Uhhhh?"

A little digging shows the narrative may have been pre-written.  Dick Beddoes was a long-time sport columnist for the Globe & Mail.  In a column written the first week of September 1972 he observed "The Russians make too many passes to complete a play, using up 5 or 6 seconds to set up shots on goal that should be made in 2 seconds."

==

Meanwhile, I've completed Game 3 of the 74 Canada-USSR series; all the numbers are crunched.  You know who surprised me? Marc Tardiff. He had a good game.  I didn't think he had one during the series.  Also, I found a comp for Jeff Deslauriers.

No comments:

Post a Comment